Tuesday, August 17, 2010

what a differance 6 years makes

2004 FxN Productions LLC is formed.  My most important piece of gear is my Canon GL2.  I edit in AVID Express Pro.  As a freelancer I worked rarely, usually alone, but when I want to.  Video was less a career and more a financially self-sustaining hobbie. I was married 3 years.

2010 FxN Productions LLC is still around, but just.  My most imporant piece of gear is my com.  I don't even own that GL2 or the 2 other Gl2s or the XL2 that came after it.  I have and XH-A1 which is getting dusty.  The rare days I man-up on a camera it's a Panasonic AG-HPX500.  I couldn't find my AVID dongle if I had to... I edit mostly in Motion, FCP if I must.  As a director I work sometimes 7 days a week, covering 2 maybe 3 peoples jobs, with a volunteer staff of 40 and I work even when I don't want to.  Video could not be a more serious to me.  My wife and I have been married almost 10 years and have 2 boys.

It's funny 6 years ago I never saw myself doing what I am doing now.  Which is kinda great cause what I do now is WAYYY cooler then anything I had in mind.  Over that course of time I have gone from just making it, to a road hardened pro, to....  I dunno what I would be considered now. 6 years ago I couldn't have been convinced this job I currently have really existed.  Now not only does it exist it's common place, I am even a respected professional in some areas.  I get calls to consult every so often, some people even value my opinion in my field.

So this begs the question what does the next 6 years look like?
Predictions 2016; based on the dramatic change in the past 6 years I think predicting anything about the next 6 would truly be futile. 
I hope when I shoot it's on whatever the new biggest baddest toy by RED is.  I hope I am still directing and editing.  I hope my volunteer staff is bigger, maybe I even have a paid staff.  I hope I am happier.  I think I have become so over the past 6 years, but today it's hard to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment