Tuesday, August 2, 2011

coworkers

I have the privilege of working with some of the greatest people.  I love my line of work, but the people I work with really make it WORTH it.  Typically during staff meetings we read "you go cards" if some one is doing a great job you fill one of these out for them and it gets read to the staff.  I wanted to take an opportunity to really give props to a couple of my coworkers in a way that would never fit on one these little cards.   The names have been left to protect that innocent.

Our first Impressions coordinator is one of the most awesome people I know.  I laugh because she is so small but man her presence is the biggest in almost any room.  SHE BRINGS IT!! As a result our first impressions is awesome, and I mean awesome! It is one of the areas I think we could do a conference on that people from other churches would get a lot out of. Her team really has almost no overlap with my team and I whatsoever, but you would never know it overhearing our conversations before/after service.  I have literally joined some leaders from her team to share cake right off the plastic box because we ran out of plates, talking about the evening services like war veterans, proud of a hard days fighting.  There is literally nothing that team can't do, don't believe me, just them.  She has brought together a team that is able to BRING IT as well. It amazes me that her and the few people who work with her are able to manage so many volunteers. but beyond that they really care about their people, they are involved in their lives and as a result their people really care about everyone else. 

The other person is our worship leader.  First thing I want you to notice there is I said worship leader not leader(s).  He is by far the most talented person I have ever met, and if you don't believe me just ask him, Kidding. 
I am not sure how many other churches our size, have only 1 paid musician on staff for the weekend services, but if I had to guess it would be none.  Most churches smaller than us pay some of their musicians, or have multiple bands and/or worship leaders.  Our singers/bands are all volunteers, but you would never know that listening to them.  All of this would make it real easy for him to have a chip on his shoulder, and I would even argue a justified chip, but he couldn't be further from that. He would give you the shirt off his back if you asked for it. From the get go I wasn't sure we would ever get along, but after working together for literally years now ... well it still amazes me that we get a long. That said he has a passion for excellence that is undeniable, he gets results that are unarguable, and if I put another u word in their and this blog becomes indescribable. 
Some of you will get that later. 
The short story is he is and awesome guy and I love working with him.

Ok back to our regularly scheduled bitterness next time :-)

1 comment:

  1. Hope has plenty of Rock Stars, but you are the only Movie Star Mark! It is funny how in man’s kingdom movie stars are always the center of attention, but in God’s Kingdom, your best prospect is a back booth, hopefully with good ventilation. Guests often ask me how Hope manages to do such beautiful services, especially around the holidays, and with a grin I reply, “See that guy in the booth that looks like he’s conducting the 1812 Overture at the Boston Pops? That’s how!” The typical response is, “Wow!”

    Anyway, Jesus once said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.” That ‘servant of all’ describes you Mark, but do not think your getting off that easy! You will still be accountable for all your unselfish acts, and do not despair when God says, “Well done, good and faithful servant!” Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete